Friday, July 08, 2005

What a week..

It's almost two weeks since I'm back... It's so scary how time flies, I can still remember vividly what happened the day before I flew back. It's almost 2 weeks now... Damn... Good time really don't last. It's friday, and I'm not happy, am I mad? It's so ironic, why am I so afraid of passing time? Though it may seem like I don't have much time left in Singapore, but at the same time, I'm moving towards the end of my university life. I guess, I didn't bother to dwell too much into the future, instead I see thing now and here... I have to keep reminding myself to think optimistically, it's not natural to me... But at least I bother to try, I should give myself a pat on my back.

A lowdown on what happened throughout the week:

Monday: Met Stan, py, KK and Issac.
We had dinner at PS food court and hung around Swensens' for a chat. Vin was sick so he didn't join us, he had stomach flu. Bad bad stomach flu... it was the first time I've seen him vomited. So I told him not to buy anything from the noodle stall ever again. According to Vin... it didn't taste as good, and its way too oily anyway.

Tuesday: Met Vin
Vin took MC for his stomach flu. We can't go anywhere, because he's on MC, so we were at home watching Howl's Moving Castle (too abstract but nice and sweet) and we watched another cartoon, Home on the Range (By disney.. an old cartoon, funny, light-hearted but the plot so-so).

Wednesday: Went out with Mom and Aunt in the afternoon. Met Tj in the evening for dinner.
Was shopping at City Plaza with Mom and Aunt, got 2 tops and I love them so much... I met Tj after that at city hall, we went to the newly renovated Marina SQ, nothing much, but definitely more stuff than the one we had before. After that we had dinner at Sakae Sushi... Without fail, every time I go out with Tj, we'll go Sakae Sushi for dinner, it's healthy and clean, just the way virgos like it.

Thursday: Met Tj in the afternoon. Met JY and E for dinner at Clementi.
We're suppose to go to Al-ameen for some authentic Malay food, but I was really late so we ended up having dinner at Clementi Kopitiam which serves really good satay. Have to thank E for the satay, he kinda belanjah JY and me for the sugarcane drink and satay, that's really nice of him.

Disclaimer: What every appears in the following paragraph(s) is solely my own opinion and I am open to discussions or disputing views. It represents my view and not meant to influence other parties. Please don't sue me, I'm harmless.. if you don't like what I say, just read other blogs ya? I am not against wealthy people by the way...

On one of the weekday night, my sis and I were watching the Jacelyn Tay show that teaches people how to eat healthy and live healthy. We then came to a conclusion that generally speaking, only rich people can afford a healthy life style. Let's beging with eating, organic food, olive oil, vitamin tablets etc are not cheap, even for an average family where both parents are working, they would think twice about buying such healthy food. The poorer families don't even know what organic food is. They live on food that last, like salted vege, salted eggs, and salted fish. Canned food make up their staple food... Healthy food = healthy life, vice versa. So they start to develop diseases that are associated with unhealthy eating habits, e.g. too much salt content can cause Kidney failure or any other ailments, thus the need for dialysis or another other treatments that are deem necessary. Which at the same time add on to their financial burden. Health care costs are hefty, therefore some health care organisations have 'business'... To help those who cannot afford the pay for their treatment. Some organisations are funded privately and 'publicly' (in the means of public donation), TV artiste risk their life to do heart stopping stunts to raise the funds as well as to raise their own popularity.

These organisations are no doubt a good will measure with all the right intentions, it is nevertheless a curative measure. Meaning to say, it seeks and provide cure for those who are already ill. What we need is something that is more preventive that goes top down. If people cannot afford healthy food, it is almost hard for them to maintain a healthy life. We all know how important it is to eat healthy and exercise regularly to stay healthy and look young for longer. The fund for dialysis must be maintained as it is a lifelong process, at the same time we can consider providing healthy food to those family who are not like to afford them at a subsidised rate.

Many people say that health is a matter of choice. You choose if you want to be healthy by eating the right food and doing your exercise diligently. Somehow it's not so much of a choice the way I see it. If I only earn a meager wage of 700bucks a month, paying for rent, electricity bill, phone bills, transport, etc... I probably would be left with nothing for savings and leisure. It's not healthy.. health is one's overall well being, and not just the abscence of diseases. No leisure = No life...

Health is wealth?

Posted by Piglet at 1:16 PM

0 comments