Wednesday, September 28, 2005

Contradictions

As I was talking to Zen yesterday about some girl vs boys stuffs, he told me that,"Do you know that most Singaporean man complain that Singaporean women are not lady-like enough?"

What I told him was,"But, I thought guys like girls who are not so clingy? Isn't it good that women are more independent now?"

I guess this is the contradiction.

Guys like girls who are independent, and yet the guys want to feel that the girls need them.

Usually the more clingy girls are more lady-like, I don't want to generalise, so let's just say, the more clingy girls that I know.. are more lady-like. Guys then complain... "She's such a control freak, she wants to see me everyday, like don't see me one day will die... Really cannot stand..."

I guess the lady-like kind, are those who are really feminish, carry themselves really well, dresses well and walk with a poise. But at the same time, they are more attention seeking...

On the other hand, I understand that it might be all the male ego thing, to be in control and 'on top' of things, so when girls are TOO independent, they get paranoid.

As we can quite see from the documentaries, that more and more men are going to rural places in vietnam or mainland china to find a wife.

Why is that so? In my opinion, its their innate need to dominate.

Women (in metropolitan areas) these days are no longer the submissive lil' lamb, who will agree to chauvanistic terms. Women are beginning to be more aware of their rights and what is good for them.

Women were not as educated as men in the past, they are kept at home to do the dishes, look after kids, be bullied by in-laws, wash clothes, and bear lots of kids... It's definitely different now, women goes to school, can read news, access the internet, drives a car, and be president.

I've learnt in one of my year 1, sociology class that men are built to dominate, whereas women are built as a primary caregiver. However it seems impossible for just one person to be working and the other stay home and do housework anymore...

The cost of living has increased, price of goods and services are going up, but not the salaries of the employees. So women had to go to work... in order to go to work, they need an education... We all know the practicalities of Singapore's system, no cert, no job. Got cert, not necessary got job. Got cert, got exprerience, maybe easier to find job. Got cert, got exprerience, got charisma, willing to do OT without pay, Alright... you got the job.

I know I'm drifting away, but the point I want to make is, if women are not independent and earn a decent salary, they would probably all be dead by now (unless they got a really rich bloke as husband or boyfriend or a rich family who is very supportive). I've heard many of my females friends say,"Nowadays, cannot depend on guys... Girls nowadays must be able to feed themselves. Even after married, girls should have their own savings..."

It's sad, but true...

Posted by Piglet at 12:32 PM

4 comments