Wednesday, September 07, 2005
Men and Umbrella...
are two things that you or me, do not usually associate with.
In saying that, I am suggesting that umbrella is an object of feministic origins. To put it simply, men don't usually carry an umbrella with them when they go out, it's usually the woman who will remember to chuck an umbrella in the bag before they head out.
Of cos, I do not mean to generalise, some men do carry umbrellas when they go out, but I am assuming that the percentage is considerably lower than women who does it.
Anyway, the point I want to make here is... umbrella is UNISEX, for those who have forgotten about it.
Some guys think... umbrellas are a hassle, they rather walk in the rain or dash for the nearest shelter to wait for the rain to go away. They typically like to say,"Aiya.. no need la... I'm not made of paper.. Last time army... BLAH BLAH BLAH..."
Other guys think... couples strolling under the rain is romantic... Think again, will you think that getting sick together is romantic too? I personally don't think so...
Most guys think... Umbrellas make them look 'sissy'... because only wimps and women carry them (there's always this chauvanistic way of associating objects or behaviours that are feminine with inferiority *shrugs*). On the contrary, I actually think that guys who carries umbrellas or tissue papers with them much more desirable than guys who don't or should I say, you know this is the kind of guy who can take care of you.
Running about in the rain is not macho or manly, imagine all the gel on the hair melting along with the rain water, face getting sticky with them... Or even the shirt getting all wet and stuck to their skin... Ever seen a 'chicken in soup' (落汤鸡)?
If you say, "In TV, they always like to have scenes where the guy stand in the rain, looking very cool mah..." then you may be very misguided. Like what you've said.. TV mah... They have professional make-up artists and the rain may not even be real to begin with! This is the real world...
To make my stand more credible.. Let's give you a scenario...
Imagine it's your first night out with some girl you have trying to date for a long time, you are sending her home after a fabulous dinner and she is starting to think that you are a really nice guy. As the both of you alight from the bus at the bus stop near her home, it suddenly started to rain. The both of you are stranded at the bus stop...
Scene 1:
While waiting for the rain to stop, you suggest that the both of you can sit down. At first it was good... YEAH.. more time together... Afterawhile, the rain gets even heavier, the seats are starting to get wet and her handphone started to ring. As she answer, "Wei...mummy ar...?" the reply she got,"WAH... So late haven't come back! Go where and hiao? COME BACK NOW, you come back u know...!!" An exasperated look on her face... You cannot do anything.. because u got no umbrella!!
Scene 2:
After you got off the bus, it started to rain. The girl say, "Wah.. rain so heavy, how to go back? I forgot to bring umbrella leh..." Then you say,"nevermind.. I got..." as you rummage through your bag looking for an umbrella, she look at you and say,"Really ar.. nowadays where got guys bring umbrella one? But heng you got umbrella, if not I think I no need to go home liao..." So, the both of you share an umbrella and romantically you manage to send her to her block safely before the rain gets uncontrollably heavy. You noticed that her face and hand was slightly wet from the rain, you then whip out your tissue paper and offer it to her,"nah.. you can have the tissue.." She then say,"Wah.. you even got tissue ar.. You really amaze me man, thanks ar... Next time go out with you no need to worry about this kind of things.. so good.."
Good right? Umbrella.. Can use to sian za bor... Don't say I never teach people how to pick up girls k... It's little gestures like this that girls really appreciate, that you are able to have an umbrella when it's raining, or having tissue when they want to wipe their mouth after meals, or having water to provide when she's thirsty or for you to stand up for her when she is being intimidated. Not expensive meals in 5 stars hotels, nor, having a limousine to send her home, or 100 roses at her work place. Firstly, you'll be broke and secondly, what is she going to do with all the roses? How is she going to work with all the roses at her work station? It's about practicality and fulfilling her emotional securities at the same time, not monetary nor superficial satisfaction.
K la...
Crappy post..
Lastly, an example of carry an umbrella with style and this is what I call cool...
Posted by Piglet at 6:04 PM
Navigation
Wish List
chatters
hits and misses
Credits