Sunday, October 16, 2005
Never say 'never' and 'always'...
Unless you are very very sure...
To make absolute statements such as this, there are consequences to bear...
I remember I use to say, "I'll never be able to get along with so and so... NEVER!!!" I was pretty sure that I was never ever going to get along with that person when I said it. Now... It's a different story... I realise anyone can get along with anyone, it depends how much effort the both parties are willing to make.
And never say 'always' because unless you really always say or do something? Even when someone say,"I always wipe my mouth after dinner..." There will be a few times that the person don't do it.. One can never ever be too sure...
So when you want to make an absolute comment.. Please think twice.. When you are about to say,"I'll NEVER speak to her again." Are you very sure you are really not going to speak to that person again? Or are you just saying in spite of the situation?
Nevertheless, these are not the things that we will usually take note of. Like when someone say,"I'll never see you again." to his girlfriend when they quarrel... They probably would have patched up before the sun sets... So if a friend happens to be in the situation, he'll probably say,"I thought you are not going to see her again?" and put it off as a mundane, silly o' tiff between the couple.
On a more serious note, absolute statement can be very significant. For example, when someone hits his wife once, one cannot say, "I've never hit her before" and get it over with. Even if it's once out of the 25 years they are together, one time will leave a scar that will never heal... On the other hand, if the wife was being welt once or twice, she cannot say,"He ALWAYS hits me..." because it's not true... The husband didn't do it all the time, once or twice does not equate to 'always'.
Not many people think of the severity of using such absolute statements, maybe because no one take them seriously to even think about it?
Maybe because I'm doing a Law subject this semester that words like these seem to become more significant. Words can be manipulated to one's advantage and conversely, it can be used against someone for giving a fraud statement. What might seem like an important source of evidence can totally be disregarded.
Posted by Piglet at 11:34 AM
Navigation
Wish List
chatters
hits and misses
Credits