Friday, November 11, 2005

Theories...

Aren't theories developed to help us understand the world better? But why am I more confuse the more I look at the various theories that supposedly there to help us conceptualise the social world?

Have I been living under a rock or are these theories just too much to handle?

At first there was just feminism when I did sociology: Gender and the Society in year 1, then there was Marxism, functionalism, post modernism, modernism, Weberism, and Macdonaldisation in year 2 when I did sociology: The Social World. Then there are more than just sociological theories, there are psychological theories, like the development of moral by Kohlberg, the development of the Id, Ego and the Superego by Freud, then social science theories, such as the biopsychosocial perspective, then social work theories, Erik Erikson: the Lifespan perspective, then there are people like Kubler Ross with theories on the stages that one goes through before death.

There are like a million and one theories and anything can be a theory.

I felt like I've learnt more theories that necessary. I find them helpful but nonetheless tedious and a pain in the arse to go through and thoroughly understand everything.

Not that we are acutally going to explain the theories of human development to our clients when they come to us for social support. So what the heck am I doing this? What do I have an exam on HUMAN DEVELOPMENT?

I'm just complaining, I know I have to go back and 'k' them after this post... My last paper is next monday... So looking forward to it... I know.. I sound crazy, Where got people look forward to exam one?

Just had my exam for the Social work in Legal context. I'm keeping my fingers crossed all the way until I get my papers back. So next time when you see me with my fingers crossed, don't ask me why ok. That's because I haven't get my results for the law paper. That's all I'm going to comment on the exam today...

Anyway, I went out with Joey for dinner tonight and we dined at a Thai restaurant call Thai Panic... Well, the food was not too bad, service is good, the serving is generous. But I think it wasn't call Thai panic for no reason, not that the cost of food, the price is rather reasonable for a restuarant or any restaurant in Australia. The cause for panic was that we found a glove in the soup!!! Its the kind of glove that you will see on aunties who are washing dishes. You know, the rubber gloves? Comes in all shape and sizes... Durable and water proof... Yep.. that's the one... We had a chipped off portion of the rubber glove in our soup... Can you even imagine how a chipped off rubber glove can get into the soup? There are of course 1001 reasons, but none of them are positive, and I'm positive of that...

We spoke to the waitress and she brought the 'evidence' into the kitchen and confronted the chef. She returned to apologise and was really nice about it. She offered to change a bowl for us, but we kindly declined her, mainly because we were too grossed out to continue eating. It was nice of them to take the soup off the order for us, we didn't actually have to pay for it in the end, but I doubt, I'll go back there next time. I feel like vomitting even thinking about the glove that was on Joey's fork. Imagine if she was to put the 'thing' into her mouth and chew it, and realised that it's not budging and she swallowed it instead... *Rush to the toilet to vomit*

By the way, Dory the BIG blue blur, if you are reading this, I just received your letter. I saw the stamped date on the envelope, it clearly stated 5 Nov 2005. Today is the 11 Nov 2005. I guess 迟到好过没到。。。I wonder what the postman was up to. It such a nice feeling to receive a letter, but I'm going back soon, I think at the rate that they are going, I'm going to reach home even before the letter can reach you. Remember to fill me in with all the long long stories that you've stated in your letter K? See ya soon... Meanwhile, take care of yourself ya?

Til' next adventure...

Posted by Piglet at 9:59 PM

2 comments